6) What are the arrangements for consulting and involving parents of pupils with SEND?

In addition to formal parent/carer consultation meetings, you can also discuss your child’s education with their class teacher. If you need an appointment, this can be made through the school office.

For some pupils, a school/home liaison book may be used to enable regular information sharing and updates between key school staff and parent/carers.

Where a child needs more focused, individualised differentiation, an SEND Pupil Support Plan, or similar, may be introduced to enable closer monitoring of progress. Ideas and information will be shared, reviewed and recorded through this planning.

At times where a pupil’s needs are more complex and they may need support from a number of outside agencies, it may be beneficial to initiate a CAF (Common Assessment Framework). This will enable a team of professionals and family members to meet regularly to offer help and support to meet the needs of one or more of the family. This is called a TAF (Team Around the Family). If a CAF is considered, the Assistant Head with responsibility for Inclusion will meet with the parents/carers to explain the process. A CAF will only be initiated with parental consent.

If your child’s needs are significant, it may be appropriate to undertake an Education, Health and Care Needs Assessment. During this process you will also be supported by the Statutory Assessment and Resources Team (START). The assessment may lead to the issue of an Education and Health Care Plan (EHCP), which, from September 2014, has replaced the current Statement of Special Educational Needs. Once an EHCP is in place, regular review meetings will be organised.

Where appropriate, your child will be included in discussions, and their thoughts will be taken in to account when deciding next steps.

Back to Queens' Federation SEND Information Report                                                 Next Question

Website Design: Motivated Design Ltd - powered by CMSMS