7) What arrangements have been made by the governing body in relation to the treatment of complaints from parents of pupils with SEND concerning provision made at the school?

If you have concerns regarding provision for your child and their needs, please contact the School Office to make an appointment to see the Assistant Headteacher with responsibility for Inclusion. Whilst every effort will be made to resolve any difficulties in school, parents/carers can refer to the Parent Partnership Service (pps@cambridgeshire.gov.uk or telephone 01223 699214) for further help and advice. If, following this, you still feel there are unresolved issues, you can write to the Chair of Governors, via the School Office.

Back to Queens' Federation SEND Information Report                                                 Next Question

Website Design: Motivated Design Ltd - powered by CMSMS